Seems like the at home Seimens charging units for the new electric cars may be burning down the owners homes.
After a house fire in Mooresville, NC which started in the home’s garage was traced the the area near a charging station for an electric vehicle,WSOC-TV reported that Duke Energy, which installed the Siemens built charging station, has warned customers to not use similar units while the investigation into the fire proceeds. When fire investigators went through the burned out garage, they found a Chevy Volt plugged into the 240 volt station, the second garage fire reportedly involving a Volt. Since it was not the only electrical appliance plugged in that area of the garage, the charging station may not be at fault. The Iredell County Fire Marshal’s office said, “The charging station was in the known area of origin, but the cause of the fire has not been officially determined.”
Though the brand of car in the garage was not mentioned in the news reports, since General Motors is joining Siemens, Duke Energy and the US Dept. of Transportation in the investigation, I think it’s safe to assume that it’s a Chevy Volt. This apparently the second garage fire that has consumed a Chevy Volt.
Siemens’ seems to be slipping in its reputation a leader in quality electronics and controls. Then again, any company that would sell virus vulnerable controllers to the Iranians so that they may make nuclear weaponry probably isn’t to worried about their reputation.